There are quite a few crafting blogs that I follow, and I find most of the projects really inspiring. however, I have one main complaint: These people do not seem real. They show photos of their workspaces, these huge tables with great lighting, cute organization, and swoon-worthy supplies. Who’s lucky enough to have all that? Not me, I’m a poor college student. Therefore, I present my workspace: the floor of my apartment, with my supplies all stuffed in a box, and books and paper everywhere.
So for my first project, I wanted to create something to organize my supplies and the scraps of my projects since I tend to begin a bunch of projects simultaneously.
- cheap fabric rectangles: about 10″x17″
- ribbon or cord: about 50 inches long
- fold over (about .5″) and sew short ends of rectangle
- fold over (about .5″) and sew long ends of rectangle
- pull cord through long ends of rectangle
- squinch the fabric around the cord
- gather and voila
After a while I took a break. Got coffee with K at Spider House … for two hours. Mocha latte, yum. Anyway, it was fun, hadn’t had the chance to chat with her for almost a month. When I got back I finished it off (and watched the second Harry Potter movie as well).
I just used a piece of scrap fabric to tie around the cord so I can slide it up and down, keeping the pouch closed when not in use. It makes a keyhole where I can easily see what’s inside.
Pretty simple. All in all, completed at approximately four in the morning. I think it turned out pretty cool. But I think I need to make a few more and hang them all from a suspension rod or something for them to make a real impact.
Also, I don’t know if anyone’s noted it, but the reason why this took so ridiculously long was that I hand-sewed the fabric (back-stitched for strength, and because this fabric unravels pretty easily) and I braided the cord. With a sewing machine and any normal cord, this would’ve been simple as pie.
[NOTE: This post originally appeared on a now-deleted blog and is reposted here for my own sake.]